Saturday, January 28, 2006

Atilla the Conservative

Ten million words have probably been written about Newspeak: the word George Orwell coined for the dumbed-down language with the purpose of controlling public perception and belief. Certainly the decay of American English has many sources cultural and academic. Certainly many words have lost their meaning and have taken on other and sometimes antithetical meanings. Certainly it’s not all progress and it’s not all accidental.

What does it mean in Newspeak to be called Conservative? I’m not sure the word has much to do with preserving the status quo or with a reluctance to tolerate large or rapid change or even the avoidance of risk any more. As used by our grotesquely politicized mainstream media, it seems to have more to do with extravagant hostility toward intellectualism, toward reason, toward freedom of thought, collective humanitarian pursuits and perhaps even toward ordered society.

Hence Ann Coulter, a woman who in more conservative times would have been hanged, drawn, quartered and burned as a witch, can repeatedly be labeled as a conservative commentator while calling for the violent overthrow of our government and its institutions. The word simply denotes high hate content and a bias against civilization.

Speaking in Little Rock, AK yesterday, psychopathic, Bolshevik revolutionary insurgent Coulter called for the murder of Justice Stevens, one of the most intelligent minds and elegant writers on the Supreme Court. CNN calls that a “strongly conservative view.”

Coulter belongs to a political party that was willing to call “please don’t tell my wife” Subornation of Perjury and “I did not have a sexual relation with that woman” a high crime worthy of impeachment. What then would a person of normal moral character call "We need somebody to put rat poisoning in Justice Stevens' crème brulee?” Does the word “Conservative” really attach itself to calls for murder and insurrection?

Coulter seems to believe that you can say things like this and write it off as a joke; that if you smile during a felony, it’s all right. Perhaps she’s right and perhaps if I say someone ought to feed her feet first through a manure spreader after pouring boiling nitric acid up her nose, I will be conservative too.

11 comments:

Mad Kane said...

Thanks very much for adding me to your blogroll. But I wanted to alert you that your link to me has a slash at the end, which is sending it off to my 404 error page. The link should be:
http://www.madkane.com/notable.html
without that slash at the end.

Crankyboy said...

I'm a conservative too! I think we should peel her skin off in small squares and boil them in oil like pork rinds! We could put it on pay-per-view and probably retire the deficit! After plague infested rats eat the coulter rinds we could put her feet first into a wood chipper! Now that's conservative!

Capt. Fogg said...

Mad Kane,

Sorry, it's fixed now.

Baltazar said...

Is the country more than half bully's ?
It's baffleing..

Capt. Fogg said...

Phil,

Really, your faith in the Government's veracity is touching, your reliance on the standard straw men and the brown-shirt rhetoric make me nostalgic for Berlin in the 30's, but your Blog left enough of an impression on me that I will decline a further dose. I would rather get my lies undiluted and straight from the horses mouth, as it were.

I do not, by the way, reply to e-mails without return addresses.

sapphiretowergirl said...

it's amazing how the 'conservative' desire to skin all dissidents (=people with other views) is left unchallenged by much media. maybe it has everything to do with the soundbyte style of journalism many of our fellow countrymen have come to expect/accept. sure, there are in depth news sources, but methinks the average american prefers to hear one-liners that make no sense over any real debate. let's keep it simple, and hell, if a 'conservative' can sidestep all those bothersome 'facts' and 'in depth discussions' about their opponent, and just say 'string em up!', well, that just saves the media the bother of having to search for that soundbyte. and if it can evince a chuckle, then hell man -- we're in nielsen ratings gold! news-meets-chuckly-sitcom: must see tv! down with intellectualism, and all that...

Capt. Fogg said...

Right wing journalism gets better ratings - I think that's the biggest factor and any in-depth news or news written for people who read at an adult level has too small an audience.

The Nielsen people called me this weekend - they asked what age group I was in. When the answer was "over 50" they said thanks and hung up. There is far more profit in stirring up the passionate dummies to waste time analyzing news or offering anything but simple, emotional explanations, pandering to nationalism and other forms of bigotry.

I'm getting my mailbox full because I mentioned that there is some question about Osama's tapes - I must be all sorts of terrible things because I proposed that American intelligence might be colored by politics - perish the thought! Imagine the Government influencing intelligence reports!

Capt. Fogg said...

Phil,

Posting obscene comments on my blog is not acceptible. You're welcome to call me childish while so childishly indulging yourself, but I have no obligation to tolerate it and no obligation to participate in your personal Beer Hall.

I do not care how I appear to you or your friends, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of silencing dissent...

If you don't care how you appear to me or my friends then why did you come by my blog and insult me? Was it necessary to say (due to me being in the military and serving in Iraq) "maybe you want to get killed or have your balls shot off..." I think your readers would agree that comment was far more rude than anything I ever posted here.

Phil

Anonymous said...

On that note I will stop commenting on your blog. I apologize if I crossed a line with any previous comments - I wish you would apologize publically on my own blog.

Phil

Capt. Fogg said...

Well, I have to agree I posted in anger too, but don't read into my post that I want you or any of our troops to get hurt. I am very sure you were sent there on false pretenses however and that your confidence as well as your estimation of who the real patriots are is misplaced. I think you're being manipulated, exploited and used as well as being fooled by propaganda. I have heard the same arguments before and I've heard them before you were born.

As to whether your blog is the kind of place to have a reasonable discussion, I am not sure. If what I get is "I'm in the army so I know more than you" or "You're not in the NSA so you don't know" or "the economy is just fine" I know that nothing I say will make an impression becuae this is a religious argument and I don't do religious arguments with laymen.