Monday, May 08, 2006

It's too late to make it right

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
Idon’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if i could
‘Cause i’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think i should

-Dixie Chicks-

T
he
Washington Post suggests that the recent chaos in the White House was an effort to appear to be reorganizing so as to drag Bush’s ratings out of the cellar. To me it looks more like Just chaos and lack of leadership and it may be that I’m not the only one to think this way. Bush’s approval is down to 31% according to a Gallup poll quoted in USA Today. In an understatement that an Englishman would be proud of, Tracey Schmitt, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee was quoted as saying “It is a challenging political environment."

Still, if one were not reading the polls, one would think Bush was still on top of his game and had the mandate of the people. It still seems to be taboo to criticize him, and bad manners to refer to his predicament. Few people have forgiven the Dixie Chicks and the Radio Lie Machine grinds on and on and on.

"By and large, if you want to be tough about it, the relevancy of this administration on policy may be over." Said Lance Tarrance, a chief architect of the Republicans' 1960s and '70s Southern strategy although both the the beat up pickups and the Bentleys here in the south still have W stickers on them. I would like to believe that it’s the diehards Bushophiles that are dying hard and that they will somehow be tempted to vote for the unappealing urban, northern, anti-gun lefties the Democrats will be sure to set. I doubt it though.

The Republicans certainly are going to make this autumn all about abortion and guns and the Gay agenda and I lose sleep thinking that the Democrats will do the same and thus blow this tremendous lead faster than any team the Chicago Cubs ever fielded.

It all depends on Bush. I’m sure he has done all the cabinet reshuffling that he’s going to do, unless we have some more timely indictments, but what really keeps me awake is the prospect of Bush attempting to appeal to patriotism and fear once again in Gut's and Glory military fashion. That may be his only remaining option.


3 comments:

Intellectual Insurgent said...

Repugs are not likely to go down without a fight, so rest assured we are going to get nauseating doses of Orwellian propaganda from them as the elections approach.

RR said...

That's my fear also: that guns and gays will top the agenda next Nov and the Dems will follow.

If they don't stick to the issues affecting most American's they'll lose my vote too...

Capt. Fogg said...

I think we will see just that and gobs of slime. They get more dangerous as they get more desperate.