Thursday, August 16, 2007

The best security of a free state

"A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. . ."

James Madison. First draft of the second amendment.

Do you really think it can't happen here? A president who exercises his self granted powers to take personal control of all governmental and military functions and call out the troops to round up dissenters, confiscate their property and put them in internment camps? The mechanism is in place and there are only a couple of things that might make the decider reluctant to trade the Stetson for a Napoleon hat. Posse Comitatus is no longer a problem, the camps are available, the Presidential directives in place, but will the citizens stand for it and turn over their arms and their freedom? I hope we never find out, but it seems they've thought of that and there are plans to use a "Clergy Response Team" to soothe and cajole the faithful into submission just like the one they employed in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina when homeowners were forced to surrender the weapons they hoped would defend their homes against looters and criminal opportunists.

Sandy Davis, the director of the Caddo-Bossier Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness in Shreveport, LA says
"In a lot of cases, these clergy would already be known in the neighborhoods in which they're helping to diffuse that situation,"
Dr. Durell Tuberville, chaplain for the Shreveport fire department and county Sheriff's office tells us that the Bible is a useful tool in the supression of civil liberty
"because the government's established by the Lord, you know. And, that's what we believe in the Christian faith. That's what's stated in the scripture."
When the framers of the constitution mentioned a well regulated militia, I believe they envisioned it as something to stand between tyranny and the "body of the people" and perhaps between a standing army and the people. I'm not a Christian any more than they were and I have the same attitudes toward nations under God and rulers that claim divine authority as they did. If the Clergy Response team arrives at my house telling me not to worry and get in the box car they'd better be packing something other than Bibles.

7 comments:

Intellectual Insurgent said...

They are preparing. Getting all their ducks in a row.

expatbrian said...

Some time ago I posted on, and can't find now, the internment camps that are quietly being prepared throughout the country. Personally, I would be delighted to see what happens when the "clergy" start approaching the "good ol boys" asking that they put down their arms.

Intellectual Insurgent said...

Reminiscent how the Catholic church kept its mouth shut during Hitler's time and probably on similar grounds.

Capt. Fogg said...

Maybe something like what Leonidas said to Xerxes when asked to give up his weapons: μολών λαβέ - molon lave, meaning come and take them.

If I had read anything like what I wrote here ten years ago I would have thought it came from a paranoid. Maybe I am indeed paranoid and I hope I am - but I don't think so.

Capt. Fogg said...

II From what I read in Hitler's Pope, the Church took a great deal of hush money from the fascists.

d.K. said...

I don't know a lot about the Catholic Church's complicity or at least passivity during the Nazi years, but I have read about their unwaving, public support for the Generalisimo in Spain during the civil war there. I wonder what Ratzinger thought/thinks....?

Capt. Fogg said...

I can only suggest reading Hitler's Pope - a book that caused quite a bit of Sturm und Drang a few years ago. It is heavily loaded with documents from the Vatican Library and is very damning of the Church's relationship with Mussolini and Hitler.