Thursday, February 07, 2008

Nixon Redux

Has Willard Milton Romney just had his Richard Milhous Nixon moment? I find it hard to be sad that, as much as I would like to drop kick his plastic ass through the goal posts of hell, I won't have him to kick around any more. In fact by claiming that he's only "suspending his campaign" in order to avoid "aiding a surrender to terror" I'm led to suspect that he's still hoping he'll be begged to return or perhaps that his rhetoric is carefully chosen to cover what is, after all, a surrender.

At any rate his suggestion that somehow the opinion of three quarters of his would-be constituents is beyond his powers of condescension and getting us out of the mess Bush created is "surrender" is enough to exclude him from consideration. We don't need another jingoistic cheerleader urging us toward divine destruction and the only thing that terrifies me is another Republican having more than the job of sweeping the White House floor.

I've heard quite enough of the "If Hillary gets in" ghost stories in barber shops and yacht club dinners to hope that she's elected by an avalanche and the stupid little nose picking snickerers reminded that it's not the "libs" or the "surrender monkeys" that put her there but a fed-up public that's voting against the theft, the lies, the incompetence, graft, nepotism and the slaughter of innocents that Romney and his heretofore running mates all support.

Cross posted from The Impolitic

5 comments:

d nova said...

gosh, cap, i get the impression you don't think 2 highly o that all-width, no-depth, perfectly manicured empty suit or the rest o his Godforsaken Old Party.

Capt. Fogg said...

I really try hard to disguise the fact that I think he's just 30 million dollars worth of ambition in a thousand dollar suit.

d.K. said...

I think "suspension of the campaign" is legalese that means Romney still has some control over delegates won -- I noted that Guiliani and Edwards' official statements used the same term, but I don't think any of them is coming back.

I'm going to miss old "Willard" too. I confess, I thought a quarter of a billion in personal wealth could probably buy the White House but perhaps not, so maybe this is a good lesson...

Capt. Fogg said...

I'm just bitter and angry enough that I hope the rest of his life is miserable.

Listening him rave about how Europe is going to hell because they don't have faith in their almighty creator and all that horseshit, I can only see him as a disease, not a man.

Jon Stewart expressed my opinion of him perfeectly - fuck you, you douchebag.

d.K. said...

LOL. Jon Stewart definitely has a way of getting at the heart of the matter :)

And yeah, I thought Romney's mentioning France during his concession was beyond bizarre.