Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tin Pin Patriotism

Sigmund Freud talked about the narcissism of small differences; the tendency toward making the biggest fuss over people who are most nearly identical to us. It calls to mind the Clinton/Obama Celebrity Death Match the media are promoting for their own ends. They're the most nearly alike politically candidates we've seen in a long time, in my opinion, but that's not good for the 24/7 yackathon that the nattering nabobs need to maintain to keep ratings up.

You'd think nothing was happening on planet Earth other than bitter debates about lapel pins and every manufactured nuance of expression is chewed to a disgusting mess like a rawhide dog toy. I don't wear a lapel pin and I won't as long as the people who made my country into a quasi-fascist imperialist plutocracy are in power. I don't trust anyone who wears one and I have not since the darkest days of the Viet Nam War when it was a symbol of support for that fraudulent, mismanaged and vicious enterprise.

I don't trust people who make an issue of a candidate not wearing a toy flag and it's obvious that many people who do are dishonest, because I and others like Crooks and Liars have noticed that John McCain is often seen without his Taiwanese Token of gumball machine patriotism too. Toe tapping Larry Craig, as T Rex points out, wore one for his police mug shot and if the hero of stall three wears one, you know it means something.

3 comments:

Buffalo said...

If only true patriotism was as simple as wearing a lapel pin.

If only supporting the troops was as easy as slapping a plastic, yellow ribbon on your ride.

If only ... if only my aunt had balls she'd probably been my uncle.

Capt. Fogg said...

I've had doubts about a couple of my aunts, but that's another matter.

d nova said...

i h8 2 differ w/ dr johnson, but scoundrels don't w8 till they need a last refuge b4 they resort 2 patriotism.

http://www.google.sm/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=dr+johnson+last+refuge+scoundrel